I mentioned in a previous an idea of wearing disco pants to the laundromat. I haven’t done so yet because I have not yet gone to the laundromat. But tomorrow I am going for sure and I am strongly entertaining the idea of wearing some. I have some thoughts why I really should but I also have some reservations. Let me start with the reasons why I should.
1. Because I want to. Don’t we disco pants enthusiasts want to be forever in our disco jeans? What better reason?
2. Doing laundry is a lot of work. It involves a lot of movement in the form of walking, carrying, lifting, bending down and what have you. Spandex disco pants are the perfect pants to wear because they are comfortable and don’t restrict your movement—provided you don’t wear the absolute skintightest pairs you have!
3. All this laundry activity can really heat you up, and by nature, spandex disco jeans are lighter than other pants and allow more air through so they can really keep you cool and prevent you from overheating. I know that’s a problem for me and I really dislike sweating.
4. May could possibly be the last month I can get a respectable amount of disco pant wearings until the fall so I need to make the most of each day.
5. The laundromat is a place where people keep pretty busy so they’re not really checking out what anyone is doing or wearing. Of course, there are the lull cycles during the wash time and dry times but nowadays most folks fill those spaces by burying their faces in their smart phones.
6. Even if people should point and laugh and stare, they may just think to themselves, “Well, he’s probably down to his last wearable pair of pants and that’s why he’s here at the laundromat!” So it’s probably a place you can get away with wearing just about anything.
I think that covers why I should wear disco pants. Now here are some hesitations I have regarding doing so.
1. It’s really easy to accidentally spill detergent or fabric softener or bleach even (oh my!) on yourself when you’re at the laundromat. I would really dread that happening on a favorite pair of my disco pants. Perhaps not so much the detergent or fabric softener but bleach would be a death sentence! Fortunately I don’t really use bleach so this may be a weak concern.
2. Tomorrow is forecast to be near 70°. That means I don’t need to wear a heavy top which really limits what I can wear. Not only that but if it’s really warm inside it wouldn’t make sense to keep any jacket on, and I’d have to find the right shirt to wear just with disco pants.
3. Having pockets when you’re at the laundromat is a must. You need a place on you to keep all those quarters because you cannot just leave them lying around! Disco pants do not afford you sufficient pockets. At least if it were colder I could keep a jacket on and utilize its pockets.
4. I never can forecast how packed or how empty the laundromat I go to will ever be. If I’m wearing disco jeans I’d rather there be less people there. What if tomorrow it is packed like sardines?
5. I don’t like to wear any of my best clothing to the laundromat. It’s just not a good place to wear good clothing. If you look at what others wear there it’s nothing special and it makes sense because you’re not going there to look attractive.
I think that’s about all for the reasons I shouldn’t wear disco pants to the laundromat.
I am heavily leaning towards wearing some tomorrow though. I would have to think about which pair. Perhaps my altered large pair of AA midnight navy disco pants, since I’m not all that crazy about that one. Or if I’m feeling more adventurous perhaps the altered charcoal large pair. I think it’ll be more important to figure out which top to wear. If I can’t find something good I may scrap the whole idea and just wear some shiny spandex jeans on Friday, my thrift store day. It is forecast to be cooler then anyway.